University of Queensland Australia is hosting a free online course for IELTS Academic preparation. Anyone can join to get a taste of their approach
Words for use in images
- For start- shows , depicts , illustrates , represents , elucidates , throws light on
- Maximum- lion share part , major , prodigious , paramount supreme, topmost
- Minimum- least, modicum , merest , slightest , smallest
- Average- moderate , mediocre , middle of the road , intermediate
- Increasing-booming , enlarging , up surging , burgeoning , inclining , sprouting
- Decreasing – sink , decline , diminish , curb , deteriorate
- Constant- uniform , regular , stable , steady . unfluctuating , unflappable
- Fluctuating-oscilate , wary . , sling , yoyo , hem and haw
- Peak- pinnacle , tip , crown , bump
- Ground level- sod , loam , dust , arena
- Conclusion – to wrap , end of the line
Prepositions: from/between 1990 to/and 2010
Movements up: increased, rose, grew, went up
Movements down: decreased, declined, dropped, went down
Adjectives: slight, gradual, sharp, sudden, steady
Adverbs: slightly, gradually, sharply, suddenly, steadily
No movement: remained steady/stable, was unchanged, stabilized
For people who are Weak in Speaking: Some more Tips for speaking:-
Describe Image:- Whether you are understanding the graph or not , the only prime thing to keep in mind is that it is a speaking task so you have to speak and show that you can speak . keep on speaking for describing image or graph. When you describe the graph and if you are not getting what to say ,you can firstly describe what the image is depicting with words like the graph shows ,illustrates or depicts. You can say about the numbers which are on the vertical axis and the years which are on the horizontal axis , following this you can add the units like the graph has degree Celsius as unit or the million dollars or percentage . Please say these things if you feel weak as a speaker , your main focus should be to say at least 3 sentences .
1. you can say about the topic .
2.you can say the unit
3.you can say the horizontal and vertical axis points like years or percentage .
Retell lecture: – Understand the theme and note the keywords from the lecture and when starting say :-
This lecture/talk is about (name the topic)/The main purpose of the lecture is about______ and then add some points which you have heard.
In this you have to manage time and try to spend only 1 to 2 min for choosing single and multiple type only because if you spend more time on this you may miss the last questions which carry MAXIMUM marks, Secondly in multiple type it select only what you feel is right don’t select those options in which you have dilemma or you are confused as it has negative marking .
Focus on fill in the blanks and selecting from blocks as these have MAX marks.
Summarize Written Text:-
Write from 5-30 words at a max (Which i always suggest to my students) with only 1 full stop and Capital letter at the beginning. Search for the main keywords of the topic in the first line only and and after reading the lower paragraphs you will be able to make a good summary , and try to write in your own words by paraphrasing the words and sentences and using Conjunctions.
Essay: – Write from 200-300 words and write to the point and what is being asked. Try to use Firstly, secondly, in conclusion to end your paragraphs which adds up to the written discourse score and support your body paragraphs with examples.